Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Well-Tempered Sub-Arctic Runner


For participants in next month’s Yukon Arctic Ultra, careful preparation is essential. There’s nothing like losing a big toe to frostbite to spoil your day. In getting ready to tackle the marathon portion of the race, I have selected my gear with care. Each and every item was chosen for warmth, weight, flexibility, comfort and the way it accents my naturally girlish figure.

Proper layering is the ticket. The photo below shows my base layer. It includes a Craft PXC Thermal Top, Sugoi Subzero Tights and Seal Skinz Waterproof Socks. (Not shown: Hot Jewlz Battery-Heated Jock Strap).




With layer two, I add a number of items designed for maximum style and performance whether traversing a craggy glacier at 30 below zero or fleeing a marauding moose:  Marmot Power Stretch Fleece Jacket, Montane Featherlite Pant, Seirus Unisex Stormsocks, OTHTC Neck Warmer, Manzella Gore-Tex Gloves, Dirty Girl Gaiters, North Face Ultra 106 Gore-Tex XCR Trail-Running Shoes.



Layer three, the pièce de résistance. If conditions are fair (around 0 degrees F), I’ll simply add a light running jacket, knit cap and sunglasses to the above, but if the weather is harsh, I’ll go for the whole magilla: Montane Black Ice Down Jacket, Mammut Extreme Arctic Mitten, Icebreaker Balaclava Lite, Kahtoola Microspikes, Smith Cascade Classic Snow Goggles. Some have asked if I’ll be able to run, weighted down with all this apparel. I can assure you that should it be so cold that I need all of this stuff my motivation to move quickly through the course and get back to my warm hotel room will be high.



As a savvy sub-arctic runner, I understand the need to be prepared for anything. In my case, that includes the admittedly remote possibility that global warming kicks in full force, causing the earth’s axis to shift and bringing about sudden climate change. Never fear, I will be ready.


1 comment:

  1. I think you'd win the polar bear contest if you ran the marathon as pictured in your last photo!

    ReplyDelete